Over the last two years we have carried out the design and installation of the Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing Services on a number of the Birmingham School refurbishment projects under the Acivico Schools Framework Scheme with Morgan Sindall. Generally, these consist of two areas of work, which are usually an area of demolition of existing temporary classrooms, and remodelling and refurbishment of the resulting area, and a new building development for the purpose of providing new teaching spaces.
These can be briefly summarised as follows:
- Summer 2014 to Spring 2015, The Bridge Special School, Sutton Coldfield
The works, briefly, consisted of:
- The Sensory Area was housed in a temporary classroom structure, located within the courtyard area of the school hall. This was demolished, and the existing school hall extended and entrance area remodelled to suit
- An existing building was extended and remodelled to incorporate an additional floor, containing new Classrooms, Staff facilities, and to provide new Sensory Rooms.
- March 2015 to February 2016 - Cherry Oak School, Selly Oak.
The works here were:
- Existing temporary classrooms were disconnected and demolished, and the school Hall was extended, into the existing ICT classroom, providing with additional seating & dining space within the Hall.
- A new, 6 Classroom, two storey extension was built on the south side of the school. This extension housed the relocated ICT Classroom facility, together with and new Staffroom, Group Rooms and Office areas.
- August 2015 to May 2016, Dame Ellen Primary School, Billesley
This project consisted of:
- Modifications to existing toilet and classroom facilities.
- A new standalone classroom building, comprising 5 new classrooms, new Design Technology and ICT rooms, offices & toilet facilities.
- May 2016 to September 2016, Hamilton Primary School, Handsworth
This project comprised the following works:
- A refurbished corridor area, as a link to the new facilities, plus new service mains stretching across the existing school roof to serve the new building.
- A new build two storey extension, consisting of 4 new classrooms, Sensory and Quiet areas, plus Staff Resource and Learning Support areas, with new toilet facilities.
The majority of these works were done during term time and areas had to be released in stages in order to work with the school timetable. Close liaisons were held between the site staff, main contractor and School building management.